THE BARBELL CLUB
Olympic Weightlifting Developmental Phase 1
THE BARBELL CLUB PROGRAM: ATHLETE CLASSIFICATIONS
Advanced: Practicing The Barbell Club methods, philosophies and training principles between 3 - 6 months consistently 3-days a week with coaching guidance.
Beginner: Practicing The Barbell Club methods, philosophies and training principles for less than 3 months and/or inconsistently attending the class for 3 - 6 months.
**Only perform Foam Roll Sequence for Warm-Ups if you are feeling tighter and more sore than usual from training prior to todays session**
1. Foam Rolling Sequence (Soft Tissue Maintenance)
Spend :10 - :15 seconds rolling each target area
- Lumbar Spine, Thoracic Spine, Between Shoulder Blades
- Lats (underarms)
- Quads and Hip Flexors
- Gut Smash (Vagus Nerve Stimulation) x5
:03 inhale (pressurize guts into roller), :05 hard exhale
2. Banded 7s
- Palms Up and Arms Straight
- Palms Up and Arms Straight, Across Body Pull
- Palms Up and Elbows Tight to Side
- Knuckles Up and Arms Straight
- Behind the Head Elbows at 90-Degrees
- Pass Throughs
3. Hip -Halo Activation
* 5 Side step R/L
* 5 Forward/Backwards Walk R/L
* 5 Glute Bridges
* 5 Single Leg Glute Bridges R/L
* 5 Bird Dogs R/L
* 5 Mini-Band Squats (Slow and Controlled) "FEMURS OUT LATERALLY, LOAD HIPS MAXIMALLY)
4. Movement Prep
1. 90/90 Breathing @ 5 breaths
2. PVC Pipe Cuban Rotations x 10
3. Tall Kneeling Glute Activation x 5 reps
4. 6 or 4-Point Bear Crawl Shoulder Touches x 5 reps each side
5. Banded Ankle Distraction in Dragon Pose x :30 each side
6. Half Kneeling Hip Ext./Int. Rotation x 5 breaths each side
7. Goblet Squat with :05 Eccentric Phase x 5 reps
8. Daily Assessment - FMS: Deep Squat
*Choose either A or B or both depending on what you need to warm-up for training.
*Beginners to class always do both.
*Everyone does "Bar to Body Contact"
*Advanced athletes can skip "Shaping Drill" unless they need it to prepare for the day (beginners must do shaping drill)
A) Burgener Warm Up Clean +
3-5 reps at each position
*Use PVC pipe or Barbell
1. Down and up – “SPEED THROUGH THE MIDDLE”
2. Elbows high and outside – “BAR CLOSE”
3. Muscle Clean – “STRONG TURNOVER”
4. Tall Power Clean – “PULL UNDER”, 2”, 4”, 6”
5. Tall Clean – “PULL UNDER”
6. Scarecrow Pause Clean - "KEEP BAR IN PLACE, MOVE UNDER FAST"
B) Front Squat Skill Transfer Exercises - 3-5 reps of each movement
*Empty Barbell or lightly loaded (no more than 45% of 1RM).
1. No Hands (aka Zombie) front Squat
2. Front Squat
3. Pause Front Squat (2 Seconds)
4. One and a quarter front squat
5. In the hole front squat
6. Tempo Descent Front squat (10 second descent, no pause, fast up)
C) *Level 1* Bar-to-Body Contact Drill
*If not ready for level 5 then stay with level 4 or regress further to dial in technique correctly.
Level 5 Position @ Floor
Level 4 Position @ "Mid-Shin" 2-3" (below the knee)
Level 3 Position @ "Hang" (just outside of the knee)
Level 2 Position @ "Mid-Thigh"
Level 1 Position @ "Hip" (Snatch) and "Upper 1/3 of thigh" (Clean)